Thursday, October 14, 2010
Obama and Hope
I did not realize an argument over this famous pic even existed. I feel strangely out of the loop on this issue. I can understand both sides of the issue and sympathize with neither. The picture was on a public website, Fairey got it from Google Images so how was he supposed to know who took the picture in the first place. He isn't the first person to google a topic and use it to his advantage. How many times have I done that? Just last week I did the same thing for an assignment. Though there is a difference, I didn't make thousands of dollars of my flower picture, and he did. I guess that is why AP is in such an uproar, it's all about the money! If the now iconic picture hadn't of made a buck no one would care about who's it is, but since that isn't the case everyone wants a slice. Shouldn't they be worrying about more important things?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you, it's all about the money! And like you said he grabbed the picture off of Google images, how was he supposed to know who originally took the picture? We have all done it we need some sort of image so we just google it and use it for whatever we need it for. I don't know of many people who actually research the image to see where it originally came from. I don't think he was in the wrong because he wasn't using the image to make money. Great post! I agree with you on all of this.
ReplyDeleteSome artists think Fairey is a plagiarist in all his artwork: http://www.art-for-a-change.com/Obey/index.htm
ReplyDelete